The City History
The first settlement, on the base of which Krasnoturyinsk was built, appeared on October 6, 1758. It was the date of the copper ore mine construction on the left bank of the Turya river. The mine was named after Vasilyev. The owner of the mine, Maksim Pohodyashin, who was the Merchant of Verkhoturye, built other mines. Among them were Nikolaev's mine, Pershin's mine, Sukhodoy's mine and Phlorov's mine. These mines and the settlement around them was named as Turinskiye Rudniki (Mines of Turyinsk).
The first miners and inhabitants of the settlement were the serfs from the Cherdynsky District. In the19th century, gold mines were constructed and in this industry the biggest number of inhabitants was occupied, since many copper mines became worthless.
The revival of copper ores extraction began at the end of 19th century due to detailed geological research of the district. The narrow-gauge railway was constructed in 1833. It connected the mines with the Bogoslovk factory (now it is Karpinsk). Another railway was constructed in 1886 between the mines and Nadezdinsk (now it is Serov). Handicrafts started developing. The settlement took the second place in the district after Nadezdinsk becouse of the number of inhabitants .
At the settlement there were 4 churches (among them Maksimov's), 2 clubs, 4 trade schools, a district mine school, a geological museum (since 1894), 48 small shops, a district hospital and a post-office.
During the Civil War, the mines were destroyed and flooded. Its restoration and reconstruction began in 1930. The Phlorovsk mine resumed working in 1934. After which the Bogoslovk mine, Bashmakov's mine and others were reconstructed.
Since the 1930s the extraction of iron ore, refractory clay and gold started. The life of the old settlement was changed when bauxite deposits were founded in the North Urals.
Under the decree of the USSR Governmentб a number non-ferrous metal producing plants underwent construction. Among them was the Aluminum plant on the base of Severouralsk bauxite deposits. On November 27, 1940, the Chief Administration of Aluminum industry ratified the place of the plant construction not far from the Turinskiye Rudniki settlement. The plant took the name "Bogoslovsky Aluminum Plant" (BAZ).
The plant construction was entrusted to People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs (NKBD).
In April 1941, the first building company, the "Bazstroy" NKBD USSR was organized. At the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, the equipment from Tikhvinsky, Volkhovsky and Dnepropetrovsky aluminum plants were evacuated here. On May 6, 1943, the first 30 tons of aluminum oxide hydrate were produced and sent to the Urals Aluminum Plant (UAZ).
On April 17, 1944, the first tons of alumina were produced. On September 28, 1944, the first turbogenerator was driven on the Bogoslovsk Heat Power Station and the first tons of aluminum were produced on May 9, 1945.
Under the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR on November 27, 1944, the Turinskiye Rudniki settlement was separated from Karpinsk and reorganized into a city with submission to the Sverdlovsk region center. The city took the name Krasnoturyinsk.
The first general plan of the city building was accepted in 1946.
Under the decree of the USSA Presidium of the Supreme Soviet on April 2, 1947, the Vorontsovka settlement was submitted to Krasnoturyinsk administration. On June 23, 1948 the Rudnitchny settlement and on November 13, 1956, the Chernaya settlement (Chernoretchensk) were submitted to the city administration.
In the post-war period the municipal services were developed. The city infrastructure was formed.
Krasnoturyinsk is the significant industrial centre. The main industrial enterprise, the Joint-Stock company "Bogoslovsky Aluminum Plant" is one of the biggest in Europe. The plant produces alumina and aluminum. The aluminum goods produced by the plant are very popular in Russia and abroad.
In 1999, the Bogoslovsk Heat Power Station celebrated its 55th anniversary.
The mining industry plays an important part in the city economy. In the city the extraction of copper ore (Stock Company "Turyinsk Copper Ore Mine"), iron ore (Joint-Stock Company "Bogoslovsk Management of Iron Ore Extraction") and gold (the "Artel of gold-diggers and Stock Company the "Gold of the North Urals") takes place.
In the city, there are 5 gas pumping stations with gas lines connected to the north territories of the Tumen Region and the European part of Russia.
The agriculture is presented by the Poultry Farm and Krasnoturyinsk city farms.
There are many cultural establishments in the city, such as libraries, a Ballet school, a Fine Arts school for children, two musical schools, the City Palace of Culture, the BAZ's Palace of Culture, specialized Musical and Fine Arts schools, a Puppet Theatre, a Sport Complex, the city's TV Studio the "Centre", a Radio Studio, an Exhibition gallery and three museums (including the old Geological Museum founded by Phedorov).
Among the educational establishments, there are an Industrial College, a Specialized Medical school, a Professional Lyceum and a branch of Ural State Technical University - UPI.
The hockey team of the sport club "Mayak" of BAZ plays of the highest league of Russia. The newspapers the "Zarya Urala" and the "Vetcherny Krasnoturyinsk" are published in the city. Cable TV is provided by TV studio, "Znak".
The opening of the Turyinsky Mine is tied with the name of talented ores expert H.N. Postnikov. The settlement could be proud of the ingenious inventor of the radio A.C. Popov, the famous Russian physiologist N.A. Mislavsky, the outstanding geologist E.S. Phedorov, who was the founder of the Geological Museum, the talented mine engineers V.V Vorontsov (the settlement Vorontsovsk was named in his honor) and A.A. Auerbah (now his name is given to the iron ore deposit ), A.P. Karpinsky, who was the "Father of Russian geology". In the settlement Vorontsovsk (now it is the city suburb) A.K. Serov was born. He was one of the first pilots and is a hero of the Soviet Union (the city Serov carries his name).
Krasnoturyinsk is in the north of Sverdlov Region at the crossing of the 60th parallel and the 60th meridian. The distance to Ekaterinburg is 426 km and to Moskow - 2079 km. The city is located on the banks of the Turya river, near the railway line Ekaterinburg - Serov - Bauxites. The second railway line connecting Serov and Karpinsk passes through the station, Vorontsovka, in 3 km from the city. 9 km west of Krasnoturyinsk, Karpinsk is located. To the north, there are such cities as Voltchansk, Severouralsk, Ivdel.
To the south-east, 14 km from the Krasnoturyinsk administrative boundary line, there is the city Serov.
Under the submission of the city administration, there are such settlements as Rudnitchny, Vorontsovka, Chernoretchensk as well as Pribrezny and Shihan. The distances between the city and the settlements are: Vorontsovka - 14 km, Rudnitchy - 12 km, Chernoretchensk - 25 km, Pribrezny - 11 km and Shihan - 21.5 km.
The total area of the administrative territory of Krasnoturyinsk is 718,930,000 sq. km. The forests around the city are comprised of conifers (fur-trees and pines). Near the city, the Turya and the Kakva rivers flow. There is a pond on the river Turya. The mineral resources of the territory are magnetic iron-stone, copper magnetite, gold, platinum, clay and fire-clay. Motorway connects Krasnoturyinsk with nearby cities. Currently, the new motorway is under construction. It will connect Serov to Ivdel.